Conolly’s Plot, Nilambur (Malappuram, Kerala, India) is one of the oldest man-made teak plantations in the world, named after H. V. Conolly, who was the district collector of Malabar during the British rule in India. Along with a local forest conservator Chathu Menon, Conolly successfully carried out planting of new teak trees to meet the growing demands of teak during that period of time. Chathu Menon was laid to rest in the teak garden in Conolly’s Plot.
Located at just 4 km from the city center, the Conollys Park can be accessed through Nilambur Teak Museum known to be the worlds first Teak Museum. A Botanical Garden is also part of this cluster, which is one of the main attraction of Nilamboor, with its beauty and vibrancy with rare butterflies and flowering plants.
Conolly’s Plot is situated on the banks of Chaliyar River, the fourth largest river in Kerala which originates in the Western Ghats range at Elambalari Hills, Wayanad, Kerala. Across the Chaliyar river, is the hanging bridge, which is the one of the longest hanging bridge in Kerala. Standing on the bridge gives a good view of the Chaliyar river and the wildness of Canollys Plot.
The plot developed in the 1840’s is a home to numerous large teak trees which stands with its own uniqueness and beauty. Apart from the existing teak plantations, Conolly’s plot also offers the translate of the oldest naturally growing teak tree named as Kannimara, which is one of the rare attraction of Conolly Plot. Another translate of the Kannimara is also displayed in the Teak Museum.
Name: Conolly’s Plot, Nilambur
District, State, Country: Malappuram, Kerala, India.
Open Hours: Monday to Saturday – 8.00 am to 5.00 pm.
How to Reach Conolly’s Plot, Nilambur:
1) Nearest railway station: Nilambur Railway Station is the terminus of the Shornur – Nilambur railway line (about 7.3km)
2) Nearest airport: Kozhikode International Airport (about 26 km)
- From Nilambur-> Conolly’s Park(via Nilambur – Malappuram Rd/Nilambur-Vadapuram-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna Rd) (about 3km)
- From Ernakulam(Kochi)->Aluva->Angamaly->Chalakudy->Thrissur->vadakancherry->Perithalmanna->Collony’s Park(about 190km)
By Train: (Trains are available in the below routes:)
- Trivandrum->Kottayam->Ernakulam->Thrissur->Shoranur Junction->Nilambur (Train Name: Thiruvananthapuram – Nilambur Road Rajya Rani Express)
- Shoranur Junction->Nilambur
Places to Visit near Conolly’s Plot, Nilambur
- Nilambur Teak Museum & Botanical Garden
- Nedumkayam Rainforest
- Karuvarakundu Waterfalls
- Adyanpara Waterfalls
- Keralamkundu Waterfalls
- Kozhippara Waterfalls
tagged under: Places to Visit in Nilambur, Kerala Museums, Nilambur Teak Museum.